A whole foods, plant-based, allergen-sensitive, gluten-free recipe blog

Gluten-free Buckwheat Flatbread

I’m working on an updated, slightly expanded version of my Candida Companion Guide and decided to include a few recipes in the book. In the guide I discuss what foods are GREAT, GOOD, and HARMFUL in the quest to defeat candidasis.  Non-starchy vegetables are GREAT, yet most grains are not recommended as they often become food for the yeast. I do recommend three “alternative” grains that can be eaten in moderation in the healing plans I describe. These three grains are millet, quinoa and buckwheat.

Buckwheat has a unique flavor and, to me, it often seems to overpower other flavors in a recipe. Recently I had the idea to play around with raw buckwheat a bit and see if I couldn’t develop a tasty bread out of it, but I knew it would require finding a way to mellow this flavor a bit. So I began by soaking the grain (which not only mellows the flavor of a grain but also increases the digestibility and nutritional value of it). Then I blended the grain with water and let it sit overnight to encourage a bit of natural culturing. The next day I added a couple more ingredients before baking. And we were all so pleased and amazed that the bread had quite a neutral flavor.

We’ve made this bread (in one variation or another) for a couple of months now, so I consider it a success and want to share it with you all as well as include it in the new edition of the Candida Companion Guide. I’m sure those that undertake the cleansing program described in the book will be encouraged with this tasty bread option!

Here’s a photo of where I’ve used the buckwheat flatbread to make a grilled cheese (imagine- grilled cheese!) sandwich with my new Good and Easy Cheese recipe (to be released soon!)

cheesegrilledonflatbreadnew

This blog post shared at Frugal By Choice, Simply Sugar and Gluten-free, Nourishing Treasures, My Sweet and Savory, Whole Lifestyle Nutrition, Gluten-free Pantry, Gluten-free Homemaker, Fresh Foods Wednesday, Day 2 Day Joys, Poor and Gluten-free, Beyond the Peel, GNOWFGLINS, The Veggie Nook, Natural Cottage Mama, Vegetarian Mamma and Real Food Whole Health.

facebooktwitterpinterestby feather

18 Responses to “Gluten-free Buckwheat Flatbread”

1. JC2 says:

I am interested to try this recipe. I like the taste of soaked buckwheat pancakes but find they are better savory than sweet (and most pancakes are topped with sweet toppings).
    How would you recommend using this flatbread in a recipe? As a pizza crust alternative, to make a “sandwich” of sorts or just as a side?

2. Kim Wilson says:

Yes- all of those applications would be great. I’ve also used it as a “crust” base for a curried pie- topped with steamed cauliflower and broccoli and a curried sauce (from my Everyday Wholesome Eating cookbook).

3. Amy Best says:

Love finding whole grain gluten free recipes that are soaked yet very easy to make. Can’t wait to try it!

4. Kim Wilson says:

Hope you love it. It’s just so easy and has such great texture.

5. I am eager to try this recipe! Featuring your recipe this week on AFW!

6. Marie says:

I have been making a similar flat bread since last fall. I was excited to ‘find’ this recipe and wanted to try it right away which I did. I used half Millet and half Buckwheat. I let it soak 24 hrs. then ground it as per recipe. I then let is ‘ferment/culture’ for 24 hrs. The next morn I gave it a stir and all looked/smelled great. Several hours later when I was going to bake it, there was a ‘redish’ layer on top of the batter and it didn’t smell “ok” so I tossed it.

Is Buckwheat more sensitive to the culturing process? The other recipe I have been using is Brown Rice and Millet and I have used the same process – soak 24, grind w/water, culture 24 – and have never had anything like this happen. I’m new to using Buckwheat and just wondered if it had to do with the Buckwheat? Any ideas?

With Gratitude and Appreciation, Marie

7. Michelle says:

What is the best SIZE of pan to use? There is no mention of that in the recipe. I made it in a 10″ cast iron skillet and it turned out more cakey. I’m guessing 12″?? Also, should it cool for a long time? I cut into mine after 15 minutes and it’s still a little gummy. Maybe that’s because it’s too thick? Thanks!

8. Kim Wilson says:

If you use a cast iron skillet, you might want to use two. The bread should be fairly thin (like 1/4″). I usually bake mine on a large baking stone or bar pan.

9. Pam says:

Made this as you said, seriously disappointed in outcome.
    Grey, flat pudding and rubbery.
    Can’t imagine where I went wrong.
    It certainly wasn’t light and fluffy plus bread looking like yours.
    Glad I only made half the quantity or a waste of organic ingredients.

10. Kim Wilson says:

All I can think is you might have started with unhulled buckwheat groats. These would produce a grey, gummy result. I’m so sorry it didn’t work well for you. I hope you have better luck another time.

11. Kim Wilson says:

I’ve had the same result with buckwheat (the pink liquid) but it’s always smelled okay and had a bit of a sourdough flavor. Not sure why.

12. Deborah Schumacher says:

Hi Kim, thanks for all you do..

Should the soaking be done in the refrigerator for both the 1st and 2nd soakings?

I don’t have a stone or cast iron pan. Do you think I could put parchment paper down and cook it in a rectangular glass pyrex dish? If so, what dimension would the pan be? (I have several sizes.

How tall(thick) is the batter when you put it down?

Thanks

13. Kim Wilson says:

I keep the grains at room temperature during the soakings.

I’m really not sure how it will work baking it in the pyrex. I’m sure it’s worth a try though. You will probably want to use two pans to get it thin enough.

The batter should be less than 1/4 inch when poured in.

14. I think I could pull this off! YUMM Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Hope that your week is fantastic!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

15. Kim Wilson says:

Yes, very simple. The texture and flavor are surprisingly good.

16. Kim Wilson says:

That’s great. It’s always satisfying when a gluten-free alternative ends up just as tasty if not tastier than a traditional recipe.

17. Norma Harris says:

Kim,
    You are a blessing to me! I am a Health Minister. I have a 10 year old grandson on a gluten free diet. It is a real challenge . You have helped me so many times. I appreciate all that you do.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Kim Wilson says:

Thank you so much for your feedback. It’s greatly appreciated.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Gluten-free Buckwheat Flatbread | WHOLEmade | N... - [...]   [...]
  2. Soaked Whole Grain Flatbread | Ragdoll Kitchen - […] This flatbread is super. I use it for pizza crust and my gluten-eating husband likes it better than regular crusts. He …