A whole foods, plant-based, allergen-sensitive, gluten-free recipe blog

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe (Dairy-free)

This recipe is a follow-up to my Shamrock Shake/Minty Smoothie recipe.  When I made it last week I thought to myself- “With a little tweaking, this could become a fabulous mint chocolate chip ice cream!” So tweak I did! And after just two trials (which the family “suffered” through) I hit upon a version I really like. This is more soft-serve consistency than hard ice cream, but the flavor and creaminess are perfect and really satisfy for those mint chocolate chip ice cream lovers out there!  This time around I had some tiny chocolate chips from the local co-op that worked perfect for this application, but you could use larger chocolate chips, carob chips or even cacao nibs in this recipe.

I realized that this recipe could be called “Spinach Avocado Ice Cream”- but then who would even give it a try?!  That would sound awful.  But I’m consistently amazed how the raw materials we have to work with (whole, plant-based foods) can be transformed into the textures and flavors of familiar SAD foods.  So we get the enjoyment of a comfort food without all the harmful ingredients.  Instead we build our health with all the great fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytonutrients naturally found in these great ingredients.

This recipe is made simply with a heavy-duty blender.  No ice-cream maker necessary, though if you had one you could add the mixture to it and enjoy this ice-cream in hard form.

This recipe will undoubtedly find it’s way into one of Kim’s Good and Easy Eats collections of recipes.  If you’d like more simple, incredibly wholesome recipes, you can check out more at Simply Natural Health or download my immensely popular ebook Good and Easy Eats for just $4.99!

This blog post shared at Frugal By Choice, Nourishing Treasures, My Sweet and Savory, Whole Lifestyle Nutrition, Gluten-free Pantry, Gluten-free Homemaker, Fresh Foods Wednesday, Day 2 Day Joys, Poor and Gluten-free, Beyond the Peel, GNOWFGLINS, The Veggie Nook, Natural Cottage Mama, Vegetarian Mamma and Real Food Whole Health.

facebooktwitterpinterestby feather

24 Responses to “Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe (Dairy-free)”

1. Geri says:

We have used these ingredients, but not all together in and ice cream recipe. Can’t wait to try it. My husband is sick with a cold and is just now willing to change what we are eating, realizing that we need a complete change. Thanks for all your hard work with these recipes.

2. This looks fabulous Kim! Can’t wait to try it on St. Patty’s Day. Thank you for inspiring me.

3. Helen says:

Wow! This is really interesting– we’ll have to try it!

4. Yum!! I LOVE mint chocolate chip! Will definitely have to try this recipe. :)

5. Haha, good point about the Spinach Avocado Ice Cream… Mint Chocolate Chip sounds much more palatable. Totally pinning this for if I ever get a high powered blender. Thanks for sharing at Healthy 2Day Wednesday!

6. Kim Wilson says:

Hope you get to try it real soon!

7. Kim Wilson says:

Hope you love it!

8. Kim Wilson says:

It’s sounds crazy, but the ingredients combine in an amazing way!

9. Kim Wilson says:

Hope it’s a big hit with the family!

10. Kim Wilson says:

Hopefully he’ll be encouraged by how great wholesome can taste!

11. Petra says:

Just tried this recipe, and when I was about to add the peppermint extract, the bottle was empty. Everything else was already in the bowl, so I tried a few drops of almond extract instead. Not bad, and the result actually reminded me of the mascarpone cream in tiramisu (which I used to absolutely love). So here is my question: Any chance you are interested in developing a tiramisu recipe- gluten free and with healthy ingredients?

12. Roberta says:

Will a large Kitchen Aide food processor work for this recipe? I use it for similar recipes with frozen fruit.

13. Spinach in ice cream? I love it!! And I love the wholesome ingredients. Found you through Healthy Vegan Fridays.

14. peggy says:

Coming to you via Gluten Free Friday. I love this idea and have pinned it!

15. martine says:

I made this on a lark, as the only ingredient in it that my picky son will actually eat is the banana (and choc, of course). I made it (with only 1/4 c choc chips) and my kids have begged for it for an after school snack every day since then. We love it!

16. Linda says:

This looks terrific. I think I’ll put some bananas in the freezer tonight. I’ve always been a sucker for mint chocolate chip ice cream. I’ve never tried using avocado, but I’m sure I’ll like it. Thanks for sharing this at Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

17. I would have never have thought of spinach in ice cream! This is so neat. Thanks for sharing it on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday and hope to see you back this week :)

18. Wow, this sounds and looks amazing!!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!

Party starts tomorrow at 7:05 pm eastern time! Hope to see you there!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

19. Hey Kim! I’m featuring this recipe on Healthy Vegan Friday this week! I love how creamy and delicious it sounds, plus how packed with nutrition it is.

Thanks for sharing it and hope to see you back this week!

20. Kim Wilson says:

That is so cool!

21. Kim Wilson says:

It should if it’s worked with other frozen fruit recipes.

22. Kim Wilson says:

That sounds fabulous. I went out and got some almond extract with this inspiration. We’ll see what comes of it.

23. Norma says:

I would love to try this but I’m allergic to bananas what could I use in place of the banana?

24. Kim Wilson says:

Bananas are pretty critical to this recipe- they contribute the sweetness and creaminess. I’m afraid another sweet fruit would overpower the mint flavor. You could possibly start with coconut milk. You might do best to search for a coconut milk ice cream recipe and then add the additions I describe here.