A whole foods, plant-based, allergen-sensitive, gluten-free recipe blog

Gluten-free and Dairy-free Cheesecake Recipe

As I’ve worked on updates and revisions on my raw book, I’ve gotten excited about trying some of the recipes that I haven’t made in a while.  One was my raw nut-based cheesecake, but when I went to our local co-op and saw the price of macadamias I quickly gave up that idea!  It would have cost over six dollars just for the nuts for the filling, say nothing about any other of the ingredients.

In the meantime my mind began to work on what other economical way I could make this same recipe.  Over the years I’ve seen raw cashews used for a number of dessert applications.  So I thought I’d give it a try.  The first try was a success flavor-wise, but it wasn’t as lovely as I might have liked.  So that just meant I had to make it again.  Which was no great heartbreak to my mom as she hung around both afternoons as I made it, eagerly awaiting a piece!

Delicious and easy (and far more affordable)- raw cashews, coconut oil, honey and lemon combine into creamy cheesecake bliss!  I used raspberries in this instance, but you use any variety of fruit or berry you would like.

Posted to Allergy Free Blog Carnival at Whole New Mom

facebooktwitterpinterestby feather

8 Responses to “Gluten-free and Dairy-free Cheesecake Recipe”

1. Dawn says:

I saw the price of macadamia nuts and almost fell over! I think it was $21 per pound raw at Whole Foods! I don’t like cashews plain. I am willing to try this though :-) Rebecca would like me to try to make this chocolate. Do you think I can just add cocoa to the remaining 1/3 of the mix before pouring it on, or should I just add it to the entire filling? Any suggestions on amount? Would I need to add anything else to it? I was just thinking about trying this, it was the thought of messing up and throwing away $(macadamia nuts) that stopped me!
    Thanks my friend!

2. Elena says:

This sounds really yummy! Can’t wait to try it! :o )

3. Christine says:

Kim, this recipe looks terrific and I will try it for my newly-diagnosed Type 1 diabetic cheesecake lover. He loves lemon cheescake – do you think I’d have any trouble with the consistency if I left out the berries and added a little more lemon & some lemon zest?

4. Kim Wilson says:

I think it would come out just as great adding more lemon plus zest to the batter. I think I’ll give it a try!

5. Kim Wilson says:

I would add the cocoa powder to the whole batch of filling (maybe 1/4-1/3 cup- depending upon how dark she might like her chocolate). You’ll need to add more sweetener with the cocoa since it is naturally bitter. Let me know how it comes out!

6. I have yet to make some of these dairy-free “creamy” recipes with soaked raw nuts. They all look so beautiful that I think I’m going to have to try it soon. Thanks for sharing this week at Allergy-Free Wednesdays! We’d love for you to join us again next week.

Have a great weekend!
    ~Michelle, AFW Hostess

7. Kym Car says:

This recipe is soooo good! I happen to love real cheesecake; this one is every bit as good. Who knew vegan, DF food could be so scrumptious! Thanks Kim for inspiring us with your own good eats.

8. Kim Wilson says:

Thanks for the kudos on this recipe!